Could someone explain to me what is meant by the phrase “finding your truth”?

Maybe it is just me, but I cannot comprehend what people are talking about when they say it is important to find your own truth.

You see, for me, there is no such thing as "your truth" and "my truth", there is only the truth and it is the same for all of us no matter what we believe. Because I understand truth to mean the way things really are, and they either are some particular way or they are not.

Either Mt. Rushmore exists or it does not; it cannot exist for me and not exist for you. Now, you might not know it exists, but that doesn't change the reality - that doesn't change the truth. You might perceive it differently or call it by some other name, but it either exists for both of us or it doesn't exist for both of us. There is no my truth and your truth about it; there is only the truth, at least the way I use and understand the word truth. So, others must be using the word differently from me and I want to understand what they mean by it so that I can communicate with them.

Now, some things work for some people and not for others. For instance, praying calms some people down, but doesn't others. Meditation works for some, but not for others. But, I would never call that "their truth". It is everyone's truth that praying works for calming some people down and you might be one of them. So, the reality of the situation is that it works for you. That is the truth, not my truth or your truth.

So, for those of you who think in terms of "my truth" and "your truth", what do you mean?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I left the LDS Church

The Most Influential Factor That Led Me To Leave

The 'Good News' is only good if we buy the 'Bad News'